December 17, 2012

Product Review: ModelCo SHINE Ultra Lip Gloss in Strip Tease, B+

Another day another Birchbox goodie! I anxiously opened my December Birchbox like a kid on Christmas. Well, let's be honest, I express that joy probably every month. And I get really giddy when said box comes complete with a full size product, like today's product to be review - ModelCo's SHINE Lip Gloss in Strip Tease. This 4 ml gloss retails for $16.



About ModelCo Shine Lip Gloss via Birchbox:

Sydney-based ModelCo prides itself in creating products that are fuss-free but high impact—ideal for off-duty beauties (models and non-models, alike). This non-sticky gloss goes on smoothly and gives lips a soft punch of sheer, slightly shimmery color. This slim tube has a built-in mirror so you can reapply on the go.

These lush hues can be worn alone or layered over bolder lipsticks. It stays put for hours, without ever feeling heavy and there are three shades to choose from: red, pink, and light peach.

My Review:

The Good: ModelCo scores points with me for the trifecta in their gloss - great texture (not too sticky or gloppy), lovely shine (no glitter particles here), and fabulous scent (smells a bit like Sweet Tarts candy to me). The shade Strip Tease is a very translucent pinky-peach that would pair great with nude lips or just swipe on for a barely there face. Plus, the slim gloss tube (new packaging, perhaps?) has a built in mirror - which is so convenient, especially if the shade you choose is packed with color.

The Bad: $16 for a gloss isn't super steep, but it's not cheap either. And at the rate that I plow through lip product, a gloss has to be perfection for me to remain a staple in my handbag.

The Verdict: B+ from me. It's a great product with equally smart packaging. I'd love to try the other shades of said gloss...Showgirl Red and Berry Pink are beckoning me!