While you can make groups of gowns to go on forever, here are a few trending gown types I saw...some in multiple categories, of course!
- Sequin explosion: Angelina Jolie, Anne Hathaway, Nicole Kidman, Olivia Wilde, Sandra Bullock, Melissa Leo, Carrie Underwood
- One shoulder sweeping gowns: Amy Adams, Lea Michelle, Julianne Moore, Mila Kunis
- Minimalist: Emma Stone, Claire Danes
- Backless/bare back: Eva Longoria, Emma Stone, Anne Hathaway
- Popular shades: Pale pink, Green, Blue, Red, White, Black
Angelina Jolie: This emerald green Atelier Versace is stunning, IMO. So nice to see her in something other than black or a muted neutral. I'm really adoring this shade with her coloring, too.
Sandra Bullock: While I'm not diggin' the super heavy bangs on Sandra's gorgeous face, I love this Jenny Packham gown. It's a classic drape but also has tons of visual interest.
Jennifer Lawrence: I'm not incredibly familiar with her work (she was nominated for Winter's Bone) but girlfriend turned.it.out. in this Louis Vuitton dress. Ruffles can be super overpowering but the corseted fit and slit in this dress make it fresh.
Mandy Moore: You don't see Mandy Moore frolicking along the red carpet too often, so it's lovely to see her in this Monique Lhuillier stunner. I love the frothy tulle and the fit of this dress.
Anne Hathaway: This Armani Prive is just gorgeous on Anne Hathaway. Kudos to Rachel Zoe for styling - keeping Anne fresh faced and fuss free in this heavy gown.
With so many gorgeous dresses, who do you think looked the best?