Then I bag. And I partition my schtuff off to friends and relatives. And I donate. And still, every season I come up with more items that my closet just doesn't want?! Why oh why, closet? You'd think I'd learn.
So, instead of wondering what the hell I'm buying every year/season that just doesn't make it through, I decided to post about it. Without further adieu...this is what I've learned.
What My Closet Hates:
- Cheapie, trendy buys (here's lookin' at you, Forever21)
- Ill fitting items, usually purchased online from a sample sale
- Shakes fist at Gilt, Ruelala, My Habit, Hautelook...
- Work/business casual gear
- I work from home, so I really don't need any button downs, suits, etc.
- Skimpy tops or skirts
- Quality fabrics: Wool blends, silk blends, great denim, tailored items
- Boutique buys
- Boots...in all forms.
- Neutral jackets
- Comfortable and colorful tops and tanks
- Don't buy stuff *just because* it's on sale.
- Don't buy something you *hope* to fit into one day
- Quality over quantity for the most part
- Buying online is risky, even if you're good about getting things tailored
- Flip your hangers to remind yourself to wear those items you're not reaching for
- Washable items are best...dry clean only is fine, but only in small doses